Speaker of the Kano State House of Assembly, Kabiru Rurum, on Tuesday debunked reports claiming that he collected the sum of N100m bribe to suspend the probe of Emir of Kano, Mallam Muhammad Sanusi II.
Rurum described the report of him collecting bribe as false and an attempt to tarnish his image.
Speaking in Kano, the Speaker said the House would constitute a committee to investigate the matter.
It was alleged that Africa’s richest man, Aliko Dangote had bribed Rurum to suspend the probe.
According to him, the report was also targeted at creating tension and chaos among the lawmakers and ridicule the personality of Dangote.
Reacting to the report, Rurum said, “I wish to clearly make it known that the story is not true, but mere libelous and false information aimed at tarnishing my image and that of my colleagues.
“The story was a fabrication, a tissue of lies and unjustifiable, because there was never a time I met with Dangote to discuss such an issue, not to talk of him offering us a bribe.”
He explained that the intervention of Acting President Yemi Osinbajo, Northern governors and other notable Nigerians to stop the probe was channeled through the state governor and not directly to the Assembly.
He said, “It is a tradition that when such things happen, the governor gets in touch with us as one of the three arms of government.
Therefore, the governor forwarded his request letter, appealing for the suspension of the investigation on behalf of all the concerned citizens.
BREAKING: Nigeriasenator, 1 other legislator dump APC, join ADC
Senator Abdul-Azeez Nyako representing Adamawa Central district and Rufai Umar representing Gombi constituency in Adamawa House of Assembly have formally announced their defection from All Progressives Congress (APC) to African Democratic Congress (ADC).
The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that the two legislators announced their defection Monday, July 16.
They made the announcement at a stakeholders meeting and inauguration of ADC congress committee for Adamawa in Yola.
The lawmakers said they were compelled to leave APC with their supporters due to injustice done to them during the recent congresses of APC in Adamawa.
“We are hopeful and pray to God that this step taken will be better for us.
“Justice is the foundation for everything good and we want to enjoin ADC to ensure justice to all so that more people will come and join,” Abdul-Azzez said.
GREEN PARROT learnt that Rufai Umar urged members of ADC to embark on membership drive in Adamawa, adding that many people had been contacting him to get membership card of the party.
Speaking at the event, the acting chairman of ADC in Adamawa, Alhaji Mijinyawa Kugama, said the party was committed to justice for all.
“We are going to ensure that everyone is carried along in the party during our congress starting from July 24,” Kugama said.
Kugama reportedly explained that the initial 700 membership cards given to each of the 21 local government areas of the state had been exhausted, adding that another batch of cards would be released.
Speaking also, the national secretary of ADC, Alhaji Saidu Baba-Abdullahi, expressed happiness over the development and assured all members of equal rights and justice.
“I am satisfied with what I saw here today. I have visited 18 states so far, but there was nowhere ADC is so glaring like Adamawa,” Baba-Abdullahi said.
Another Nigerian Man Assassinated By Gunmen In South Africa (Graphic Photo)
The killings of Nigerians in South Africa has continued following the brutal murder of another man who was attacked by unknown assailants. A video footage which was posted online shows the moment the man was left dead in the pool of his blood after the assassination.
The man was shot in the head at a point blank rage while returning from an outing. His car key, phone and wallet were left untouched by the assassins as he had already died beside his car before people gathered to rush him to the hospital.
In the video, his Nigerian friends can be heard crying and lamenting in Igbo language about the increasing rate of killing of citizens in South Africa as they asked what is happening in the country.
According to reports, over 117 Nigerians have been extra-judicially killed in South Africa between 2016 and 2018 for one flimsy reason or the other.
JUST IN: Court orders disengagement of 245 NITDA workers (SEE REASON)
The National Industrial Court, Abuja, on Thursday affirmed the disengagement of 245 workers of the National Information Technology Development Agency, NITDA.
Justice Simisola Adeniyi, in her judgment said the failure of all the 245 claimants to tender their letters of employment was fatal to their case.
“Although the 245 claimants were employed on the same day, their contracts of employment were different.
“Therefore, all the letters of employment and acceptance letters of the claimants should have been tendered in evidence before the court,” she said.
Adeniyi said that the three letters of employment tendered, stated that it was a probationary employment.
The judge said that the defendant had the right to either confirm or terminate the claimants’ employment at the end of the probation period.
The judge said that what the three claimants that tendered their letters of employment should have sought for was their unpaid salaries and allowances.
“Since there is no evidence before the court to show calculations of the remuneration due to them, I find and hold that the claimants are not entitled to general damages.
“This case is lacking in merit and it is hereby dismissed accordingly in its entirety,” she said.
The claimants, through their counsel, Wilfred Otasowie, had sought for a declaration that their disengagement was illegal, null and void and of no effect.
They also asked for reinstatement, payment of their salaries and N500 million as general damages.
The counsel said the claimants were duly employed, and given appointment letters.
He said that after their documentation and while awaiting for their posting, they were notified of their disengagement through a newspaper publication in August 2016.
Ibrahim Attahiru, the defendant’s counsel in his submission, said the employment of the claimants in November 2015, was marred with irregularities, while due process was not followed.
Attahiru said that interviews were not conducted and letters of employment were issued before approval was given.
Politics23 hours ago
JUST IN: PDP threatens to boycott 2019 polls
News8 hours ago
Exchange of gunfire lands Melaye in fresh trouble with police
Politics23 hours ago
BREAKING: Fayemi hints at probing Fayose
News7 hours ago
Dasuki won’t be released despite bails, he caused 100,000 deaths – Buhari’s minister, Malami
News8 hours ago
Boko Haram attack : 600 Soldiers still missing
Politics8 hours ago
Ishaku: I’m one of the seven governors Buhari is plotting to stop in 2019
News7 hours ago
2019 polls: Police, Civil Defence Demand N317m To Feed Dogs, Horses
News8 hours ago
FG Plans To Frame Atiku For Herdsmen Attacks