Connect with us

News

BREAKING: Saudi king removes nephew, appoints son as successor

Published

on

In a major reshuffle, Saudi Arabia’s King Salman has appointed his son, Mohammed bin Salman, as heir to the throne of the home of Islam’s holiest sites.

In a royal decree, the former Crown Prince, Mohammed bin Nayef, a 57-year-old nephew of the king, was removed as next-in-line to the throne. He was replaced with Mohammed bin Salman, 31, who was previously the deputy crown prince.
The new change implies that barring other changes, the 31-year-old will assume the throne of Saudi Arabia when his father, 81, dies.

“His supporters praise him as hard-working and say he offers a hopeful vision for the kingdom’s future, especially for its large youth population. His critics have called him rash, inexperienced and power-hungry,” the New York Times writes of the new crown prince.

The Saudi government’s official news agency reports that the newly-announced crown prince was also named deputy prime minister and maintained his post as defence minister.
According to the decree, the former crown prince was also fired from his post as interior minister.

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

CPC uncovers poisonous rice depot in Akwa Ibom, warns consumers over Mama Gold, Royal Stallion

Published

on

The Consumers Protection Council (CPC) has uncovered a depot where substandard and poisonous rice are being bagged in Akwa Ibom state, and sold to unsuspecting consumers.
CPC Director-General, Mr. Babatunde Irukera, who led his team and newsmen to the place at IBB Way in Uyo on Friday, said the Council has apprehended eight persons with over 1000 bags of the substandard rice worth millions of Naira confiscated.
The DG announced that those behind the act of re-bagging substandard rice to sell to unsuspecting consumers would be prosecuted to serve as deterrent to others.
“This is the third of all the locations of our sting operation in Uyo with respect to putting away substandard product from the market, specifically rice.
“What we have found here is very sad, a proposed warehouse but nothing here than re-bagged substandard rice.
“All the perpetrators of this act would be prosecuted, not only prosecuting them, but I will advocate for our laws to be respected and sufficient provision for the Customs’ Act for the forfeiture of the building used for this illegality,” Irukera said.
He assured consumers that the monitoring exercise would be routine, to get rid of substandard products from the market and protect the health of consumers.
He urged consumers to be careful where they make their purchases, adding that when they are in doubt they should speak out.
“Consumers need to complain when things go wrong. If somebody buys something that is not good the person should complain. If you don’t like something, say something,” he said.
The DG further warned residents against buying Mama Gold and Royal Stallion rice as the products are no longer in the market.
Speaking to newsmen, one of the operatives of the shop in Udoma street in Etuk Market, Mr Kanayo Jackson, said that they have been in the business since 2013.
He said most of the people selling rice in Akpan Andem and Itam Market in Uyo metropolis have been in the business for long.
“It is not only in Udoma Steet that people are re-bagging rice, there are many other places like Akpan Andem and Itam market.
“I am only working for my brother, Mr Jackson. We buy the empty bags and re-bag the rice for sale.”
He told newsmen that security operatives have been coming to the shop before, but their boss used to “settle” the security operatives.

Continue Reading

News

AT A GLANCE: Enugu airport, Maritime University… major projects affected by n’assembly’s cuts

Published

on

President Muhammadu Buhari on Wednesday signed the 2018 budget into law, eight months after he presented the proposal to the national assembly.
In his budget signing speech, the president said the national assembly reduced the provisions for some projects and added 6,403 projects of their own to the budget.
The provisions for the National Housing Programme, Mambilla power plant, Second Niger Bridge, and security infrastructure for Unity schools were slashed.
The takeoff grant for Maritime University and the construction of a terminal building at the Akanu Ibiam International Airport, Enugu, were also affected.
At present, flights cannot operate at night at the Enugu airport because there are no approach lights, which should be installed at both ends of the runway.
Hadi Sirika, minister of state for aviation, has said an upgrade of the airport would result in job creation and investments. However, the president says the national assembly’s actions will delay the completion of the project.
Here are some of the major projects whose provisions got slashed by the national assembly.
PROJECT REDUCED BY NEW BUDGET
Construction of the terminal building at Enugu Airport N1.5 billion N500 million
Mambilla power plant, Second Niger Bridge, East-West Road, Bonny-Bodo Road, Lagos-Ibadan Expressway and Itakpe-Ajaokuta Rail Project N11.5 billion N/A
Abuja mass transit rail project, arterial roads N7.5 billion N/A
Rehabilitation of United Nations Building, Abuja N3.9 billion N100 million
Establishment of chemotherapy centres, upgrade of tertiary health institutions N7.45 billion N/A
Security infrastructure for Unity schools N3 billion N/A
National housing programme N8.7 billion N/A
Pension redemption fund and Public service wage adjustment N5 billion N/A
Export Expansion Grant (EEG) and Special Economic Zones/Industrial Parks N14.5 billion N/A
Take off grant for Maritime University, Delta state N1.6 billion N3.4 billion

Continue Reading

News

2018 budget: Buhari govt gives breakdown of allocations

Published

on

The Federal Government says in spite of the delay in signing the 2018 Appropriation Bill into law, it is determined to ensure effective execution.
Sen. Udoma Udo Udoma, Minister of Budget and Planning, gave the assurance on Thursday in Abuja at the presentation of the approved 2018 Budget of Consolidation.
The N9.12 trillion 2018 budget was signed by President Muhammadu Buhari on Wednesday after it was raised from N8.61 trillion by the National Assembly.
Giving a breakdown of the allocations, Udoma said capital expenditure would gulp 31.5 per cent of the total expenditure at N2.87 trillion, adding that this was more than N2.36 trillion allocated in 2017.
Recurrent non-debt spending would rise from N2.99 trillion in 2017 to N3.51 trillion in 2018.
Udoma said the Federal Government planned to spend N2.01 trillion on debt servicing (21 per cent of budget), adding that provision to retire maturing bond to local contractors increased by seven per cent from N177 billion in 2017 to N190 billion for the current fiscal year.
He explained this was in view of the ambitious plan to liquidate all contractor debt arrears of the Federal Government going back several years.
He said that the Ministry of Power, Works and Housing had the highest allocation with N715 billion for both recurrent and capital expenditure, Ministry of Interior would get N577 billion while Ministry of Defence was allocated N576 billion.
Ministry of Education was allocated N542 billion, Ministry of Health N356 billion, Ministry of Transportation, N267 billion and Ministry of Agriculture and Rural Development, N203 billion.
Others are Ministry of Water Resources, N155 billion, Office of the National Security Adviser, N123 billion, Ministry of Industry, Trade and Investment, N118 billion, and Ministry of Youth and Sports Development, N116 billion.
He added that the Office of the Secretary to the Government of the Federation was allocated N112 billion.
Udoma, while highlighting some of the projects to be carried out in the year, said infrastructure, security and human development were the focus of the government.
He said N530.8 million would be used in constructing the terminal building at Akanu Ibiam International Airport, Enugu , and N8.32 billion used for the construction of the second runway of Nnamdi Azikiwe International Airport, Abuja.
According to him, while N162.28 billion was scheduled as counterpart funding for railway projects, N9.4 billion was set aside as counterpart fund for the Mambilla hydro-power project.
He said that N344 billion was allocated for the construction and rehabilitation of several roads nationwide and N26.7 billion allocated to National Housing Programme.
For health, he said N55.15 billion had been allocated to the implementation of the National Health Act, while N300 million had been set aside for health emergencies and contagious diseases outbreaks.
For agriculture, Udoma said over N25.1 billion was allocated for promotion and development of value chain across more than 30 different commodities to ensure food security,
He also said that N5.30 billion was allocated for National Grazing Reserve Development.
The minister said that procurement of ammunition of various types and calibers would cost N5.3 billion, while construction of new military barracks in five geo-political zones would gulp N2.3 billion.
For mines and steel, he said N644 million would be used for the establishment of mining regulatory agency for the sector and N450 million used to reclaim abandoned mine sites.
For education, Udoma said the Universal Basic Education Commission was allocated N109 billion and N9.2 billion allocated for various scholarship allowances.
He added that N65 billion was allocated for re-integration of transformed ex-militants under the Presidential Amnesty Programme, while N45 billion was allocated for the Federal Initiative for North-East (Pilot counterpart funding contribution).
Udoma said that the goal of the 2018 budget was to consolidate on the g

Continue Reading

Trending

%d bloggers like this: