There is a palpable confusion and tension among journalists in Osun State, as two leading members of the profession were last week transferred from the newsroom to the classroom.
The duo, Mr Adeyemi Aboderin, and Mrs Tunrayo Ayegbayo were both employees of Osun State Broadcasting Corporation in Ibokun and Osogbo stations respectively before the transfer.
While Aboderin is the incumbent Chairman of Sports Writers Association of Nigeria (SWAN) in Osun, Ayegbayo is the current Chairperson of National Association of Women Journalists (NAWOJ) in the state.
However, mixed reactions have trailed the transfer of journalists who have put in over two decades of service in the profession.
A source in one of the stations, who pleaded anonymity because of the civil service rule, alleged that the transfer was done in bad faith mainly to spite the individuals and create confusion among journalists in the state.
According to the source, it is an antic of the government to silence some dissenting voices in the media, which they first put to test in the state-owned station.
“This is a lopsided transfer to say the least, no logical explanation can justify this error, it is odd as it is bizzare; it is indeed a conscious affront on the media in the state.
“I believe that the government is test running its instrument of repression against the media as gubernatorial election in the state draws near, it is pertinent for us to be vigilant and resist such antics”.
Meanwhile, moving to justify the action of the government, the Commissioner for Science and Technology in the state, Mr Remi Omowaye through a social media platform explained that the development is a fallout of a “harmonisation policy”.
“The transfer is in line with the harmonisation policy aimed at strengthening the Osun Civil Service. Those with Education qualifications, over 300 in number; have been moved to the classroom. No hard feelings,” Omowaye wrote on WhatsApp.
BREAKING: Nigeriasenator, 1 other legislator dump APC, join ADC
Senator Abdul-Azeez Nyako representing Adamawa Central district and Rufai Umar representing Gombi constituency in Adamawa House of Assembly have formally announced their defection from All Progressives Congress (APC) to African Democratic Congress (ADC).
The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that the two legislators announced their defection Monday, July 16.
They made the announcement at a stakeholders meeting and inauguration of ADC congress committee for Adamawa in Yola.
The lawmakers said they were compelled to leave APC with their supporters due to injustice done to them during the recent congresses of APC in Adamawa.
“We are hopeful and pray to God that this step taken will be better for us.
“Justice is the foundation for everything good and we want to enjoin ADC to ensure justice to all so that more people will come and join,” Abdul-Azzez said.
GREEN PARROT learnt that Rufai Umar urged members of ADC to embark on membership drive in Adamawa, adding that many people had been contacting him to get membership card of the party.
Speaking at the event, the acting chairman of ADC in Adamawa, Alhaji Mijinyawa Kugama, said the party was committed to justice for all.
“We are going to ensure that everyone is carried along in the party during our congress starting from July 24,” Kugama said.
Kugama reportedly explained that the initial 700 membership cards given to each of the 21 local government areas of the state had been exhausted, adding that another batch of cards would be released.
Speaking also, the national secretary of ADC, Alhaji Saidu Baba-Abdullahi, expressed happiness over the development and assured all members of equal rights and justice.
“I am satisfied with what I saw here today. I have visited 18 states so far, but there was nowhere ADC is so glaring like Adamawa,” Baba-Abdullahi said.
Another Nigerian Man Assassinated By Gunmen In South Africa (Graphic Photo)
The killings of Nigerians in South Africa has continued following the brutal murder of another man who was attacked by unknown assailants. A video footage which was posted online shows the moment the man was left dead in the pool of his blood after the assassination.
The man was shot in the head at a point blank rage while returning from an outing. His car key, phone and wallet were left untouched by the assassins as he had already died beside his car before people gathered to rush him to the hospital.
In the video, his Nigerian friends can be heard crying and lamenting in Igbo language about the increasing rate of killing of citizens in South Africa as they asked what is happening in the country.
According to reports, over 117 Nigerians have been extra-judicially killed in South Africa between 2016 and 2018 for one flimsy reason or the other.
JUST IN: Court orders disengagement of 245 NITDA workers (SEE REASON)
The National Industrial Court, Abuja, on Thursday affirmed the disengagement of 245 workers of the National Information Technology Development Agency, NITDA.
Justice Simisola Adeniyi, in her judgment said the failure of all the 245 claimants to tender their letters of employment was fatal to their case.
“Although the 245 claimants were employed on the same day, their contracts of employment were different.
“Therefore, all the letters of employment and acceptance letters of the claimants should have been tendered in evidence before the court,” she said.
Adeniyi said that the three letters of employment tendered, stated that it was a probationary employment.
The judge said that the defendant had the right to either confirm or terminate the claimants’ employment at the end of the probation period.
The judge said that what the three claimants that tendered their letters of employment should have sought for was their unpaid salaries and allowances.
“Since there is no evidence before the court to show calculations of the remuneration due to them, I find and hold that the claimants are not entitled to general damages.
“This case is lacking in merit and it is hereby dismissed accordingly in its entirety,” she said.
The claimants, through their counsel, Wilfred Otasowie, had sought for a declaration that their disengagement was illegal, null and void and of no effect.
They also asked for reinstatement, payment of their salaries and N500 million as general damages.
The counsel said the claimants were duly employed, and given appointment letters.
He said that after their documentation and while awaiting for their posting, they were notified of their disengagement through a newspaper publication in August 2016.
Ibrahim Attahiru, the defendant’s counsel in his submission, said the employment of the claimants in November 2015, was marred with irregularities, while due process was not followed.
Attahiru said that interviews were not conducted and letters of employment were issued before approval was given.
Politics11 hours ago
JUST IN: Fayose breaks silence on Ekiti poll, asks Buhari to bury his head in shame
Politics24 hours ago
Pastor Okotie: God says PDP and APC should field me as consensus candidate in 2019
Politics16 hours ago
JUST IN: I am no longer with APC – Governor Ortom announces
Politics11 hours ago
BREAKING: Nigeria senator, one other legislator dump APC, join ADC
Politics24 hours ago
Tinubu: Nigerians No Longer Pay For Darkness Because Electricity Is Stable Under Buhari’s Government
Sports20 hours ago
Russia 2018: Ahmed Musa gets nomination for Goal of the Tournament
Religion20 hours ago
Where I get my power from – TB Joshua
Lifestyle24 hours ago
‘You are as beautiful as the day I met you’— Osinbajo eulogises wife on 51st birthday