Connect with us

News

Report: N310m worth of cars bought for Secondus in 17 months

Published

on

Uche Secondus, national chairman of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), allegedly received exotic cars worth over N310 million, according to the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC).

The cars were said to have been purchased for him between June 28, 2013 and November 2014, allegedly from the proceeds of “shady oil deals” under the administration of ex-President Goodluck Jonathan.

Secondus became the acting national chairman of the PDP in 2015 after the resignation of Adamu Mu’azu, following the party’s defeat at the polls. Before then, he was the party’s deputy national chairman.

According to The Nation , a fact-sheet obtained from the EFCC showed that N1.28 billion was spent on acquiring exotic vehicles for Secondus and two others.
Others indicted include Muazu and Albert Bassey, senator representing Akwa Ibom north-east senatorial district.

A breakdown showed that Secondus got vehicles or gifts worth N310million-N472.5million; Mua’zu, N504, 500,000 and Bassey, N303m.

The vehicles were reportedly purchased from Skymit Motors from the proceeds of what was due to the nation from the strategic alliance agreement between Atlantic Energy Drilling Concept Nigeria Limited and the Nigeria Petroleum Development Company(NPDC).

Some of the proceeds were said to have been initially diverted to Expedia Marines from where payments were made to Skymit Motors.

“As part of the investigation of Strategic Alliance Agreement between Atlantic Energy and NPDC, the EFCC team discovered that part of the proceeds of crude oil lifting were diverted to Expedia Marines and from the company several payments were made to a company called Skymit, which deals in assorted vehicles,” the fact sheet read.

“About 55 vehicles were bought for Secondus as follows: 10 Hiace High Roof @N8.5million each-8/4/14;15 Hiace Mid-roof @ N8.5million each; 25 Hiace High and Mid-roof @ N210million; Range Rover Autobiography @N50million Mercedez G63 @N36m (28/6/2013; 2 Toyota Hilux(D-Cabin Pick Up) @ N14million (8/4/14).

“Secondus was invited on February 23, 2016 in respect of investigation into alleged case of fraud and money laundering. He made a statement and he was granted bail on March 2, 2016.”

Secondus, in a statement to the EFCC, said: “All these gifts came to me from the Chairman of Atlantic Energy, Chief Jide Omokore over the years.

“I am not aware of the proceeds from Strategic Alliance Agreement being used to purchase the gifts.”
Ike Abonyi, his spokesman, said on Monday that “we are already in court on some of these allegations. If anybody has anything to prove, let him go to court”.

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Dasuki to regain freedom soon as judge signed bail application

Published

on

The former National Security Adviser, Sambo Dasuki is to regain his freedom in any moment as a Federal High Court Judge, Justice Ijeoma Ojukwu formally endorsed the bail application granted him on July 2, 2018.
Mr Dasuki has been in detention camp of Department of State Security Service (DSS) since December 29, 2015 when he was rearrested by security operatives.
Justice Ojukwu endorsed the bail application after Dasuki perfected all the conditions imposed on him by the court.
Family sources told PRNigeria today that the ex-NSA through his associates and sell-wishers perfected the bills which were verified by the officials of the Federal High Court in confirming their authenticity since last week.
READ ALSO: Alleged N700m fraud: Dakingari still missing in court
The endorsement of Justice Ojukwu by signing the bail papers today has cleared the way for Dasuki’s release.
Family members, associates and well-wishers of the detained NSA were said to have been arriving Abuja in anticipation of his release by the Federal government in compliance with the court order.
After over two years in the detentio, the Court had on July 2, 2018 admitted Dasuki on bail in the fundamental human right suit filed by him.
He had applied to the court to admit him to bail on the ground that his detention since 2015 without trial was a breach of his fundamental right to freedom of liberty.
Although charges were filed against Dasuki by the Federal Government in four different High Courts, he was granted bails by the courts but was not allowed to enjoy the bail.
The ECOWAS Court of Justice had also ordered his release and imposed a fine of N15 million on the Federal Government for his unlawful detention but yet the government did not comply with the verdict.
However, in the latest judgement, Justice Ijeoma Ojukwu ordered that Dasuki to be released on bail in the sum of N200million and two sureties in the like sum.
The court said that one of the sureties must be a federal government employee with not less than grade level 16. In the event of a private person standing as the surety, the court held that the person must have landed property in Abuja.
Besides, Justice Ojukwu said the surety must deposit N100 million with the registrar of the court and that the money would be returned to the surety at the end of the trial of the former NSA.
During his tenure as the National Security Adviser in the immediate past administration, Dasuki had reinvigorated and facilitated the expansion of troops of Multi-national Joint Taskforce (MNJTF) with neighbouring Benin, Cameroon, Chad and Niger towards combating the dreaded Boko Haram insurgency.
Mr Dasuki also facilitated a collaboration with foreign technical advisers towards ensuring the recovery of several major towns in Adamawa, Borno and Yobe states from Boko Haram terrorists. Some of the liberated towns, during his tenure included: Abadam, Askira, Baga, Bama, Bara, Buni Yadi, Damboa, Dikwa, Gamboru-Ngala, Goniri, Gujba, Gulag, Gulani, Gwoza, Hong, Kala Balge, Konduga, Kukawa, Marte, Madagali, Michika, Monguno, Mubi, Vimtim among others.
However shortly after leaving office, the Federal Government filed charges against him in different courts and was granted bail in line with the provision s of the law but was rearrested and clamped into detention since December 2015 prompting him to institute a fundamental Right Suit against the government for the enforcement of his freedom to liberty.
At the time of this report, family members, well-wishers and sympathisers were eagerly awaiting his release from DSS’ custody in line with the court’s judgement.

Continue Reading

News

Femi Adesina: How Buhari tackled nationwide killings

Published

on

Femi Adesina, special adviser to the president on media and publicity, has released details of the efforts the current administration has taken to curtail insecurity.
Thousands of lives and properties worth millions of naira have been lost to wanton attacks and killings across the country, particularly in the northern region.
President Muhammadu Buhari has come under heated criticisms for allegedly not doing enough to address the killings in the country.
But Adesina said it was necessary for Nigerians to be reminded of the efforts of the federal government.
He added that the claim that the president was not doing enough is not real.
“A popular refrain from some quarters is that the President is not doing enough to combat the insecurity that has beleaguered the country in recent times,” the statement read.
Lest that untruth begins to wear a garb of reality, let us consider some initiatives taken under the leadership of President Muhammadu Buhari to rein in the security situation, particularly since January, 2018.”

Below is the full statement:
COMBATING INSECURITY IN THE COUNTRY: LEST WE FORGET – PRESIDENCY
JANUARY 2018
Leadership of the police deployed to Benue State, after mass killings reportedly committed by herdsmen. This was followed by a fact-finding team led by the Minister of Interior, and deployment of Special Forces of the military, to restore law and order.
National Economic Council sets up 10-man committee on farmers/herdsmen clashes, headed by the Vice President.
The 1 Division of the Nigerian Army, Kaduna, launched a special operation, Karamin Goro (Small Kolanut), in collaboration with the Air Force, Police, Department of State Services, and Nigerian Security and Civil Defence Corps, NSCDC; to tackle kidnapping, robbery and cattle rustling in parts of Kaduna and Niger States (Minna-Birnin Gwari-Pandogari and Minna-Sarkin Pawa general areas)
FEBRUARY 2018
The Nigerian Army commenced Exercise Ayem Akpatuma covering Benue, Taraba, Kogi, Nasarawa, Kaduna and Niger States, in order to tackle the cases of kidnappings, herdsmen/farmers’ clashes, among others.
The Nigerian Air Force (NAF) inducted its first indigenous operational Unmanned Aerial Vehicle (UAV), Tsaigumi. The newly-inducted UAV has day and night capability, an operational endurance in excess of 10 hours, a service ceiling of 15,000 feet and a mission radius of 100km, and is capable of being used for policing operations, disaster management, convoy protection, maritime patrol, pipeline, power line monitoring as well as mapping and border patrol duties.
The Nigerian Air Force (NAF) established a total of 10 new Units as NAF had concluded plans to set up Quick Response Wings (QRWs) across Nasarawa State, in a bid to tackle the herders/farmers clashes plaguing some states within the axis.
MARCH 2018
President Buhari began sympathy visits to states that had experienced wanton killings in the country.
The Nigerian Army extended Exercise Ayem Akpatuma in Taraba State by two months.
The committee set up by the National Economic Council on farmers/herdsmen clashes submits report, making far reaching recommendations for peace, including ranching in five states.
APRIL 2018
The Nigerian Air Force took delivery of a second batch of 2 brand new Mi-35N helicopter gunships to boost internal security.
Deployed Special Force to Zamfara State to combat criminality
MAY 2018
The Nigerian Police Force inaugurated a Mobile Squadron in Takum, Taraba State.
The Nigerian Air Force established 3 new Quick Response Wings (QRW) in Taraba, Nasarawa and Benue States respectively, and deployed Special Forces personnel to these new bases. (Taraba State QRW is located in Nguroje; Nasarawa State QRW in Doma; and Benue State QRW in Agatu).
Inspector-General of Police Ibrahim Idris ordered the deployment of 200 policemen, and 10 patrol vehicles to Birnin Gwari (Kaduna-Zamfara axis) to tackle armed banditry in the area.
President Buhari approved the establishment of a new Battalion of the Nigerian Army, as well as a new Police Area Command, in Birnin Gwari LGA of Kaduna State, as part of measures to scale up the security response to the banditry affecting the area. Chief of Army Staff, Lt Gen. Tukur Buratai, has since flagged off the new Battalion (2 Battalion Forward Operating Base, FOB) in Kanfanin Doka Village, Birnin-Gwari, Kaduna State.
The Defence Headquarters assembled a Special Military Intervention Force comprising more than 1,000 personnel, drawn from the Army, Air Force, Navy, Police, DSS and NSCDC, to respond to the security challenges in the North Central and North West. On May 8, 2018, the Force launched Operation WHIRL STROKE, as a full-scale military operation to completely restore law, order and stability in the affected communities. The Whirl Stroke Operational Force Commander is Major General Adeyemi Yekini.

Chief of Army Staff inducted a mix of 49 Toyota Land Cruisers and Innoson gun trucks, at the HQ of the 133 Special Forces Battalion of the Nigerian Army at Azare, to support the ongoing OPERATION LAST HOLD in Northern Borno.
NAF launched newly-constructed accommodation for the 205 Combat Search and Rescue Group (CSARG) — established in 2017 to provide aid and operational assistance to wounded and distressed troops serving in combat units — in Kerang, Plateau State.
The Air Task Force of NAF commenced Operation THUNDER STRIKE to attack selected locations of Boko Haram Terrorists in the North-East.
The Nigerian Army commissioned its new Forward Operating Base in Epe, Lagos State
JUNE 2018
NAF deployed combat helicopter to its 207 Quick Response Group (QRG) in Gusau, Zamfara State to support the fight against armed banditry in the town and its environs.
JULY 2018
President Buhari approved the establishment of Operation WHIRL STROKE II, for deployment in Zamfara and Kaduna States.
Securing the length and breadth of the country is a continuing commitment. It is one of the key pledges of the Buhari administration, which it is carrying out night and day.
In May 2015, when the administration emerged, the security situation was in tatters. It pulled up its bootstraps, rolled up its sleeves, set to work, and the Boko Haram insurgency was beaten back. It was eventually degraded.
Other security challenges are being tackled and will subsequently become history. Not doing enough, as some critics claim, is not part of the deal, nor is it reality, no, not by any stretch of the imagination. A lot is being done, and success is guaranteed.

Continue Reading

News

Biafra: Nnamdi Kanu younger brother attacks Atiku, reveals why Igbo will reject restructuring

Published

on

Prince Emmanuel Kanu, younger brother to the elusive leader of the Indigenous People of Biafra, IPOB, Nnamdi Kanu, has berated former Vice President Atiku Abubakar for saying if he becomes president in 2019, he will restructure the country in such a way that IPOB will forget about Biafra.
Prince Emmanuel Kanu, younger brother to the elusive leader of the Indigenous People of Biafra, IPOB, Nnamdi Kanu, has berated former Vice President Atiku Abubakar for saying if he becomes president in 2019, he will restructure the country in such a way that IPOB will forget about Biafra.
He insisted that Abubakar’s idea of restructuring was deceitful and makes “no sense.”
Speaking with Daily Sun, Kanu said the former Vice President should do away with his restructuring because what the people of the area needed was Biafra.

Kanu insisted that only the actualisation of Biafra would liberate the people of the South East and ensure total freedom for the region.
He said, “To start with, I don’t exactly know what Atiku means by restructuring. He needs to explain to us what restructuring is all about and the kind of restructuring he is talking about.
“IPOB is a secessionist group and we believe in Biafra and total freedom of our people. What does he mean by restructuring, is it along state or regional line? He should do away with his restructuring.
“Atiku was there when the Nigerian army invaded Nnamdi Kanu’s house and he never said anything, so, why should we, as Biafrans, believe him? We cannot believe him.
“Again, he came to Umuahia without making any attempt to visit the same place soldiers invaded, to see things for himself; so, why should we believe him in the first place.
“The Igbo are not swayed by such statement; he only came to seek our votes and after that, no more.
“Before he came to Abia or Igbo land, he should have been able to understand the meaning of Biafra. For us, Biafra means freedom for us to be free.
“It is completely different from restructuring of the country. We want to be free people, so, what Atiku is saying doesn’t make sense to us; until he does the needful, nobody will take him seriously.
“What we want is Biafra and it’s as simple as ABC. What Atiku said is a political gimmick, they have seen Easterners as people they can use whenever they can, to grab whatever they want, especially when they want our votes. What they do is to run their mouths, and after obtaining our votes, they will leave us where we were. So, Biafra is what can save us.”
Kanu urged people of the South East not to accept Abubakar’s promises because such overture was fraught with deceit.
“Igbo have become wiser in all spheres of live, nobody can deceive us again, not even one million Atikus,” Kanu said.

Continue Reading

Trending

%d bloggers like this: