Connect with us

Metro News

Teenager arraigned for allegedly ‘sodomising’ eight-year-old

Published

on

The Ondo State police command has arraigned, before the Juvenile court in Akure, a 17-year-old student of St. Joseph College, Ondo, for allegedly sodomising an eight-year-old boy.

The victim is the son of an Akure-based journalist, Lanre Duyile.

A police spokesman, Femi Joseph, confirmed the teenager’s arraignment while giving an update on the case.

Mr. Joseph however did not give details of the charge preferred against the suspect, since it is a case involving a minor.

He said the arraignment was in fulfilment of the police’s promise to ensure justice.

“The case has been registered with the presiding magistrate who will get all facts before knowing the charges to be preferred against Olamilekan,” he said.

“I am sure hearing will commence at the next adjourned date. It is no longer in our hands.”

Reacting to the arraignment, Betty Abbah, the Chief Executive Officer of CEE Hope, a Non-Govermental Organisation, pursuing the case after a complaint was lodged by the victim’s father, said the arraignment was a relief.

“The prompt arrest and arraignment of the suspect by the police following our outcry and that of other members of the public is extremely commendable,” she said.

“The police has lived up to its billing that it can be responsive and stand for the protection of the most vulnerable which this little sodomised boy represents.”

She also advised the parents to resist any pressure to withdraw the case.

“I am aware that tremendous pressure is currently being mounted on the father of the boy by some powerful individuals to withdraw the case,” she revealed.

“He should be left alone with his family. At a point, he had to vacate his house to live in a church for fear of his family’s safety. Enough is enough.

“People, no matter how powerful, should be told that there are limits to their impunity especially in a country and a state governed by law and order.”

Ms. Betty called urged the state government, the Ministry of Women Affairs, the House of Assembly and all relevant stakeholders to step in to ensure justice was secured for the little boy.

She promised to begin a comprehensive psychosocial support to ensure the victim’s stability, safety and a sense of justice.

It was learnt that the arraignment did not come until the Mr. Duyile raised the alarm that the police was conniving with the parents of the suspect to sweep the case under the carpet.

The police promptly denied the allegation and rearrested the suspect after he was initially released.

Mr. Duyile narrated that he noticed his son was always touching the private parts of his mates, a development which prompted an investigation on his part.

The little boy later confessed to his parents that the suspect had been abusing him whenever he was left with their neighbour in their absence.

Please follow and like us:
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Metro News

Bike man loses his private part after dropping passenger

Published

on

 

In Lagos, a bike man has held down a passenger who reportedly made his private part disappear » after touching him with a magical ring.

This was captured in a video fast circulating online media. The incident occurred on Tuesday, September 18, 2018, in Omole Phase 2, Ikeja according to an IG post.

The victim » places a firm grip on the waist of a man believed to be passenger. He seemed determined not to let him go.

A motorist who witnessed the development was heard in the clip asking questions about how his manhood came to be missing.

Please follow and like us:
Continue Reading

Metro News

Boko Haram hits another military base in Borno

Published

on

 

Soldiers and members of the Boko Haram sect are currently engaged in a gun battle at a military location in Damasak, Borno state.

The insurgents reportedly launched an attack on a military base in the area around 5pm on Wednesday.

A military source said the insurgents stormed the town with anti-air craft guns, bombs and other weapons.

Texas Chukwu, army spokesman, has confirmed the attack, saying soldiers are on top of the situation.

The incident comes less than a week after Boko Haram fighters struck at a military location in Gudumbali, Guzamala local government area.

Some witnesses said soldiers were killed in the attack but the army denied losing anyone.

In its renewed campaign of violence, the insurgents have been carrying out attacks on military locations in the north-east.

Commenting on this Ahmad Salkida, a journalist known to have access to the leadership of the sect, said Boko Haram had been overrunning military formations and piling up arms for something “big”.

“The insurgents are busy piling up arms, by overrunning one military base, after another, for something “big” and what could that be?” he had tweeted last week.

Salkida added that in the history of insurgency in Nigeria, no year has been as bad as 2018 in terms of the killing of military personnel by Boko Haram fighters.

Please follow and like us:
Continue Reading

Metro News

Catholic priest shot dead in Imo

Published

on

 

Jude Egbuom, a Catholic priest, has been murdered in Nkwerre local government area of Imo state.

According to PUNCH, Egbuom, who was the presiding priest of St. Patrick’s Catholic Parish in Amucha, Njaba LGA, was attackedat a barber’s shop where he had gone to have a hair cut around 8pm on Monday.

The armed attackers reportedly demanded his car keys and when he resisted, he was shot alongside an unidentified young man who was with him.

“The circumstances surrounding the killing of the priest indicated that it was a case of armed robbery,” a native of the community was quoted to have said.

“It could not have been a case of assassination, who did the gentle priest offend? He was from our community, Nkwerre and was doing his missionary work at Njaba, a nearby LGA. ”

Confirming the attack, Andrew Enwerem, police spokesman in the state, said Dasuki Galadanchi, commissioner of police, has deployed the tactical unit of the command to investigate the killings.

“The incident is confirmed. Rev Fr.Jude Egbuom of St Patrick’s Catholic parish Amucha was murdered last night,” he said.

“Another person whose identity had yet to be known was also killed by the hoodlums. The priest was in his priestly regalia when they shot him dead.”

Please follow and like us:
Continue Reading

Trending

Enjoy this blog? Please spread the word :)

%d bloggers like this: