Connect with us

Sports

Former Barcelona striker Enrique Castro dies after heart attack.

Published

on

Former Barcelona striker Enrique Castro has died after he suffered a heart attack on Tuesday, February 27

Castro who was 68-years-old was a fan favourite as a striker for Barcelona, made a total of 178 appearances for Barcelona and scored over 70 goals.

Castro played for the Catalan club between 1980 and 1984 was presented a golden badge by Barcelona president in 2016 for his loyalty and dedication to the club.

He won five trophies in his time as a Barcelona Player as his death has brought out reactions from Barcelona supporters across the world.

The official Twitter handle of FC Barcelona confirmed the death of Castro with a message on its official Twitter account which said, “Enrique Castro ‘Quini’ dies (1949-2018), a player and legend of our Club. The Camp Nou will never forget your legacy. RIP”

Barcelona President, Josep Bartomeu reacted to the death of the clubs icon by posting a message on his official Twitter account.

He said, “Dismayed by the death of Quini, an extraordinary player and an incredible person who won a privileged place in the hearts of the Barça players and the world of football. Our heartfelt condolences to your family and friends.”

Former Barcelona coach Luis Enrique also reacted to the death of Castro on his Twitter handle.

He said, “Warlock, Q happy you made me in my beginnings. I’ll never forget you. Affectionate, simple and close. It’s your turn to rest, in peace.”

The late forward played for Spanish side Sporting Gijon before his move to Barcelona, and after his time with the Catalan outfit he returned to Sporting.

Please follow and like us:
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Sports

UCL: Ronaldo sent off in Juventus win as Man City suffer shock loss

Published

on

 

Cristiano Ronaldo was sent off in the first half as Juventus defeated Valencia 2-0 in their UEFA Champions League opener on a night which also witnessed a shock 1-2 loss for Manchester City at home to Olympic Lyon.

On his UCL debut for Juventus, the 33-year-old former Real Madrid top marksman was given his marching orders midway through the game after his tangle with defender, Jeison Murillo, in the box was deemed an off-the-ball incident worthy of a sending off by the assistant referee behind the goal.

The surprising decision was much to the chagrin of a crestfallen and teary Ronaldo who pleaded his innocence to no avail.

Juventus should have taken the lead earlier in the game but they missed glit-edged openings through Mario Madzukic and Sami Khedira.

Valencia dominated with Juventus down to 10 men but conceded against the run of play on the stroke of halftime. Miralem Pjanic converted from the spot following Daniel Parejo’s foul on Joao Cancelo who was trying to get on the rebound after hitting the bar, handing Juve a 1-0 lead at the break.

The midfield playmaker doubled the Italian champions’ lead early in the second half through another penalty conceded by Murillo who brought down Leonardo Bonucci. Valencia could not breach the well drilled Juventus defence which stood firm in the face of pressure, while goalkeeper, Wojciech Szczesny, also made a few crucial saves.

In England, Manchester City suffered a shock 1-2 loss to Olympic Lyon at the Etihad Stadium, no thanks to sloppiness in midfield and a devastating counter-attacking display by the French side.

City, missing Pep Guardiola’s animated presence on the bench due to a touchline ban, went behind midway into the first half. Their midfield gifted Lyon the ball and the defence failed to clear Fekir’s cross which found Maxwel Cornet, and the midfielder finished into the far corner for a surprise 1-0 lead. Fekir made it two before halftime with a rasping shot from the edge of the area after picking up a loose ball in midfield.

City halved the deficit on 67 minutes through Bernardo Silva who finished off a Leroy Sane pass to hand the home team a lifeline. The visitors, however, held on despite the attacking onslaught from Man City who have now lost their last three home games in the Champions League.

In Spain, Real Madrid started the third defence of their UCL crown with a dominant 3-0 win over AS Roma of Italy. The 13-time champions created several openings early on and had to wait until the stroke of halftime to take the lead through Isco. The Spanish international curled in a superb free-kick from the edge of the box for a deserved halftime lead.

Gareth Bale, who took over from Ronaldo as the superstar of this Real Madrid team, doubled the lead on 58 minutes when he lashed a shot into the far corner after being found by Luka Madric’s tailor-made pass.

Returning striker, Mariano Diaz, scored the final goal of the night with a brilliant curling shot to seal a comfortable 3-0 win for Julien Lopetegui’s team at their Santiago Bernabeu.

RESULTS

Ajax 3-0 AEK Athens

Shakhtar Donetsk 2-2 Hoffenheim

Benfica 0-2 Bayern Munich

Man City 1-2 Lyon

Real Madrid 3-0 Roma

Viktoria Plzen 2-2 CSKA Moscow

Valencia 0-2 Juventus

Young Boys 0-3 Man Utd

Please follow and like us:
Continue Reading

Sports

Mayweather to Pacquiao: I will come out of retirement to fight you

Published

on

mayweather-pacquiao-will-come-retirement-fight

Mayweather to Pacquiao: I will come out of retirement to fight you

Floyd Mayweather, former professional boxer, says he will come out of retirement to face Manny Pacquiao for a rematch in December.

The most lucrative pay-per-view boxer in the history of the game made the announcement in a video posted on Instagram on Saturday.

“I’m coming back in December,” the American said, adding the caption: “I’m coming back to fight Manny Pacquiao this year another 9 figure pay day on the way.”

In the video, Mayweather mocks Pacquiao by asking him about his shoulder, which the Filipino suggested was responsible for his 2015 defeat.

Asked recently about a potential rematch, the Pacman had said: “If he decides to go back to boxing then that is the time we are going to call the shots.

“I have the belt, so it’s up to him. If he wants to come back in boxing, let’s do a second one.”

The duo fought in 2015 with Mayweather coming out on top, and Pacquaio has been after a rematch ever since.

The pound-for-pound boxer retired following his victory over Conor McGregor a year ago but he appears to have been tempted to return.

The first fight was believed to be the most lucrative of all time, worth over £230m to the two fighters.

Amir Khan recently set his sight on fighting Pacquiao although a rematch with Mayweather could be much more attractive to the Filipino.

Please follow and like us:
Continue Reading

Sports

Naomi Osaka upsets Serena Williams to win historic US Open title

Published

on

naomi-osaka-upsets-serena-williams-win-historic-us-open-title

Naomi Osaka upsets Serena Williams to win historic US Open title

Naomi Osaka defeated Serena Williams to become the first Japanese to win the US Open women’s final.

Osaka beat the former world number one in two straight sets of 6-2, 6-4 on Saturday.

Williams made her first Grand Slam appearance when the Japanese was three-months-old.

Osaka is the youngest US Open women’s finalist since 19-year-old Caroline Wozniacki won it in 2009.

The encounter is the fourth in the Open era where a player seeded No. 10 or higher will win the US Open title after wild card Kim Clijsters did it in 2009, Flavia Pennetta in 2015 and unseeded Sloane Stephens in 2017.

Osaka took home $3.8 million in prize money for winning the US Open.

The Japanese has now recorded a 2-0 victory over Serena in their two encounters so far.

The pair met in the first round of the Miami Open earlier in the year where Osaka cruised to a 6-3, 6-2 victory.

Please follow and like us:
Continue Reading

Trending

Enjoy this blog? Please spread the word :)

%d bloggers like this: