Connect with us

Metro News

Grieving father recalls last moments with 27-year-old son crushed to death by train in Abuja

Published

on

A grieving father, Francis Idoko, a staff of the National Universities Commission, on Saturday relived his last moments with his son, Paul, who was killed by a train around Arab area in Kubwa, Abuja on Friday morning.

Speaking to a correspondent of the News Agency of Nigeria at his residence located at Arab road, few kilometers to the scene of the accident, Idoko said the 27-year-old Paul had gotten ready to go to work about the same time he (Francis) was ready.

Idoko said: “At about 7 .15 a.m., as I prepare to go to work and Paul came to into my bedroom to greet me because he was ready to go to work too.

“When Paul came in, his mother was lying on the bed.

And I asked the mother if she had N50 change because my neighbour usually gives me a ride to Maitama Junction from where I take a cab to complete my journey to my office.

“His mother said he had no smaller naira denomination note as well but Paul said he had changes.

“He brought out N200 and told me, Daddy, I hope the taxi driver can get a change with this. I said yes, thank you and left.

“When I got to the office at about 10. 30 a.m., my friend called me and asked me to call him back that there was an emergency.

“I called him back, he said your son is dead and I replied ‘it is not possible!’ This was the boy that gave me transport this money.

“Later my neighbour, Hassan, also called me to tell me. I called my wife, who was in the living room watching TV with my daughter.”

Idoko said the mangled body of his first son was later gathered from the rail tracks.

He said he went to the Police Post for support to take his son’s remains to the morgue.

He said: “The police said they don’t have that authority.

“So, we went to Phase IV Police Station before taking him to the morgue at Kubwa General Hospital and they accepted the remains.

“’By the grace of God, people rallied around me and I was able to bury my son at the new cemetery by Arab road.”

He told NAN that an officer from the Federal Bureau of Investigation also came to his house and requested for a permission to speak with him.

Please follow and like us:
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Metro News

Hoodlums Set APC Campaign Vehicle Ablaze In Ondo

Published

on

 

Some hoodlums suspected to be political thugs have set ablaze a campaign vehicle belonging to Olatayo Aribo, an aspirant contesting the House of Representatives seat on the platform of the All Progressives Congress (APC) for Owo/Ose Federal Constituency of Ondo State in the 2019 elections.

The hoodlums also attacked two occupants of the vehicle, identified as Lanre Kako and Tope, who were on their way home after stopping over to buy ‘suya’ in Owo area of Ondo State.

The attack occurred around the post office area of Owo, with passers-by left scampering for safety.

Sources told journalists in Akure that the hoodlums shot at the campaign vehicle after the occupants escaped from the scene of the incident.

“The two men were driving one campaign vehicle and they stopped to buy ‘suya’ around the post office at Owo, but some guys came and shot at the vehicle. They had to run away but their attackers set the vehicle on fire,” one of the sources said.

“Those around put out the fire but these boys reinforced and came back to set the vehicle on fire again.”

Addressing journalists on the incident, Aribo said the case had been reported to Police in Owo for further investigation, adding that he did not suspect anyone and that he was ready to write a petition to the State Police Commissioner.

“We reported the incident to the Police and they were also invited to witness the burning of the bus. It is now left for them to investigate and take action, but for now we do not suspect anybody,” he said.

Please follow and like us:
Continue Reading

Metro News

16 miners kidnapped in Kaduna

Published

on

 

The Kaduna state police command on Wednesday announced the kidnap of 16 miners in Bogoma village of Birnin Gwari local government area of the state.

Yakubu Sabo, the command public relations officer, disclosed this to NAN in Kaduna.

Sabo said the 16 miners were abducted on Tuesday night when the truck they were travelling in was intercepted by armed bandits shortly after they left their mining site on their way home.

“The bandits kidnapped one Isa Tanimu and 15 others all of the same village,” Sabo said.

He added that a team of the police anti-kidnapping unit are currently combing the area to rescue the miners and arrest the kidnappers.

He disclosed that information available indicated that a link had been established with the abductors and “the Police iare making discreet efforts to track them down.”

Sabo described the incident as quite unfortunate, but assured that the command was doing its best to rescue the victims and apprehend the perpetrators.

“We appeal to the general public to assist the police with useful information towards ensuring that the criminals are brought to book,” the command spokesman said.

NAN

Please follow and like us:
Continue Reading

Metro News

Mum gives 8-month-old step-daughter poison to drink

Published

on

 

In Niger State, a 20-year-old housewife, Zulac Kabiru has been arrested for giving her 8-month-old step-daughter poison » to drink.

She reportedly fed the deceased with a substance locally known as ‘Ota Piapia’ . The incident which occurred on Sunday, September 9, 2018, occurred following a disagreement with the mother of the deceased.

ALSO READ: 3 family members including pregnant wife, die after eating poisoned dinner »

Advertisement

Kabiru Labbo , the father of the child reportedly notified the police concerning the tragic event. This prompted her arrest according to Punch News.

“I warned my husband against marrying another wife, but he didn’t listen. The second wife was in the habit of insulting and assaulting me at all times and one day I decided to poison her eight-month-old daughter to increase her sorrow; so that she will learn how to respect her superiors in the family.

“Before my husband married her, I kicked against the move. We have been living in peace but when she came, she divided the family. My husband gave her more attention and since then our family has been in shambles,” Zulac Kabiru is quoted by Punch.

Kabiru who acknowledged that her actions was wicked also claims she was pushed by the devil.

The police hopes to arraign her in court as soon as investigations have been completed.

Please follow and like us:
Continue Reading

Trending

    Enjoy this blog? Please spread the word :)

    %d bloggers like this: