Connect with us

News

Okorocha’s ‘amnesty’ to wanted persons splits lawmakers

Published

on

Members of the house of representatives were divided on Tuesday over the amnesty reportedly granted by Rochas Okorocha, governor of Imo state, to some criminal suspects declared wanted by the Rivers state government.
Last week, Nyesom Wike, governor of Rivers, had said: “That amnesty offered by Governor Okorocha cannot cover Rivers state. These criminals are still wanted for their crimes against Rivers State and her people.”
At plenary on Wednesday, some lawmakers condemned the alleged amnesty while others said the governor was acting within his constitutional powers.
The deliberations followed a motion sponsored by 12 lawmakers, most of who are from Rivers.
Presenting the motion, Chinda Ogundu, the lead sponsor, said the reported amnesty was granted “in concert with some highly placed politicians for selfish reasons”.
He described it as “unimaginable, preposterous and part of a wider plan to re-integrate and arm the criminal elements in the society ahead of the 2019 elections”.
Ogundu said: “Those that were declared wanted are all from Rivers state and thus, it is strange that a state governor within the federation of Nigeria could purportedly grant amnesty to persons who are at present on the wanted list of the security council of a sister state.”
The 12 lawmakers said the federal government and security agencies should not recognise the amnesty and that the said criminals should be arrested.
But some of the lawmakers argued that if security agencies in a state have the power to arrest an individual for a crime committed in another state, a governor should also have the power to grant amnesty to criminals for crimes committed in another state.
Zakare Mohammed, a lawmaker from Kwara state, however, urged the lawmakers to first ascertain whether some of the alleged crimes committed by the individuals declared wanted were carried out in Imo state or not.
Oguma Johnson, from Ondo state, said Okorocha did no wrong in granting the amnesty.
According to him, “the only way to stop a governor form granting an amnesty is to amend the part of the constitution that gives him such powers to grant amnesty”.
He said similar situations were also obtainable in other parts of the world including the US.
Bashir Babale, from Kano state, called on his colleagues to bear in mind that the issue involved human lives and as such, should be treated without prejudice.
He said rather than grant the prayers, the house should mandate relevant committees to investigate the matter and report back to it.
Adopting his recommendation, Yakubu Dogara, speaker of the house, set up an ad-hoc committee comprising the chairmen of committees on justice; ethics and privileges as well as national security and public safety.
The committee was asked to look into the matter so as to clarify the various issues involved and report back within one week.

Please follow and like us:
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

THROWBACK: I see no reason to demolish Yinka Ayefele’s station – Governor Ajimobi

Published

on

THROWBACK: I see no reason to demolish Yinka Ayefele's station - Governor Ajimobi

THROWBACK: I see no reason to demolish Yinka Ayefele’s station – Governor Ajimobi

Two year ago in a radio broadcast, Governor Abiola Ajimobi of Oyo State said he had no reason to demolish Yinka Ayefele’s Music House in Ibadan, the capital of Oyo state.

In the broadcast, obtained by journalists Sunday morning, Mr Ajimobi also revealed how he was allegedly told to demolish the building shortly after he was elected governor of the state.

GREEN PARROT reported how the building, which houses Mr Ayefele’s radio station, Fresh FM, was partly demolished Sunday morning.

But in the 2016 broadcast, aired by Fresh FM, Mr Ajimobi revealed that he was asked to demolish the building during his first term as governor because the radio station and the owner were not in support of his political aspirations.

He said, “When we contested the first and won, a lot (of people) told us to demolish the radio station because your programmes and broadcasts are against my government. Your boss, Yinka Ayefele, was also using songs to insult us.

“I didn’t see any reason why I should demolish the studio. If Ayefele is not for us today, he (will) support us later in future. Ayefele is beside me now and I pray the business will keep flourishing.”

Commenting further, Mr Ajimobi described the radio station as the best in Oyo State.

“Without any equivocation, I must confess that this radio station is the best in Oyo State,” the governor said.

But on Sunday, a part of the Music House was demolished.

The location of the building has generated controversies in recent weeks, with the Oyo State Government alleging that it contravenes urban and physical planning laws of the state.

The government said the building violated the originally approved building plan because it is “structurally defective (and) poses danger or constitutes a nuisance to the occupier or the general public”.

Toye Arulogun, Oyo State Commissioner for Information, said the state government had also received petitions detailing about three accidents that took place around the building.

The government had served the management of the building a notice of demolition which expired August 15, but Mr Ayefele was reported to have headed to the court, alleging victimization.

Reacting to the demolition exercise Sunday morning, Mr Ayefele took to his verified Facebook page to lament the incident. The musician, who arrived the scene of the demolition shortly after the exercise began, wrote: “Oyo state government did at last……my pains my sweat ….So help me God.”

The Oyo State Government is yet to comment on the incident as at press time Sunday morning.

The Music House, is said to be valued at N800 million.

Please follow and like us:
Continue Reading

News

Chibok parents: Abati lied, Jonathan didn’t rescue any of our girls

Published

on

Chibok parents: Abati lied, Jonathan didn't rescue any of our girls

Chibok parents: Abati lied, Jonathan didn’t rescue any of our girls

The Chibok Parents’ Association says former President Goodluck Jonathan did not rescue any of their abducted girls as claimed by Reuben Abati, his former aide.

Daily Trust reports that Yakubu Nkeki, chairman of the association, said the claim could only make sense if the Jonathan administration kept the supposedly rescued girls away from their parents.

Abati had said the former national security adviser, Sambo Dasuki, advised Jonathan against publicising the release so as not to reveal the girls’ identities.

“There was headway. We rescued many of the girls but the advice from the NSA at the time was that we should not publicise it because of the identities of those girls. I witnessed it on many occasions. Those girls were brought to the president,” he said on Arise TV.

Commenting on the development, Nkeki said: “Does he mean they rescued some of the Chibok girls and are keeping them somewhere? If that is what he means, then they should immediately release the girls to us.

“What we know is that the Buhari regime negotiated for and secured the release of all the girls we have with us now. Soon after their release, I was called to Abuja to identify them. These girls are currently at the American University of Nigeria, Yola under federal government’s full scholarship.”

Florence Ozor, chair, #Bring Back Our Girls strategic team, said the group is not aware of such a development.

“All we know is the number of girls that have been released under Buhari administration and we are not aware of this development,” she said.

“I really don’t understand what the motive would be. How would you secure children from terrorists and the parents and the nation are not aware and you just sent them abroad? There is more to what they are telling us. It will be good if they can make it public because the parents and the nation need to know.”

At present, 107 girls have been released with 112 still in captivity.

Please follow and like us:
Continue Reading

News

‘More thieves will be jailed’ — Buhari talks tough as he resumes office

Published

on

‘More thieves will be jailed’ — Buhari talks tough as he resumes office

‘More thieves will be jailed’ — Buhari talks tough as he resumes office

President Muhammadu Buhari says his administration is going to jail “more thieves” who looted the nation’s treasury.

He said this on Saturday in an interview with NTA upon return from his vacation in London.

Buhari said his administration is not going to let those who stole the country’s funds escape prosecution.

“We are going to jail more of the thieves that brought the economic problems to the country,” Buhari said, adding: “I think that is being expected of me and I will do it.”

On the recent defections in the country, the president said it is good for democracy as people should be allowed the choice of any party they want to belong to.

He said: “I think that should be appreciated, it is the beauty of democracy. Let people choose what party they want to belong to.

“But let them make sure they have empowered their constituents by educating them on voter registration and making sure they get their permanent voter cards. And that they use their rights to vote whoever they want across religion and ethnicity.”

Garba Shehu, presidential spokesman, said Buhari has written the national assembly leadership, informing them of his return from vacation.

“In compliance with Section 145 of the 1999 constitution (as amended), I write to intimate the Senate, the House of Representatives that I have resumed my functions as the President of the Federal Republic of Nigeria with effect from today, Saturday, 18th August, 2018, after my vacation,” Buhari told the lawmakers in the letter.

Please follow and like us:
Continue Reading

Trending

Enjoy this blog? Please spread the word :)

%d bloggers like this: