The acting Executive Chairman of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, Ibrahim Magu, on Sunday in Osogbo, the Osun State capital, disclosed that a whopping sum of N738 billion allegedly stolen by corrupt individuals through their positions in government had been retrieved by the anti-graft agency in the last two years.
Magu said the argument in some quarters that the arrest and prosecution of some corrupt Nigerians were prompted by their regions, religion and political affiliations was baseless and laughable.
He said the EFCC only goes after individuals who have acquired questionable wealth via fraudulent and corrupt acts either in the public and private sector.
Magu, who made these disclosures while delivering the convocation lecture as part of the activities commemorating the Founders Day and seventh graduation ceremony of Fountain University, Osogbo, affirmed that “for the fight against corruption to succeed, more needs be done by way of not seeing the war against corruption as a Buhari/Osinbajo affair.”
The EFCC boss, who was represented by his Chief of Staff, Olanipekun Olukoyede, stated: “It is true that with the support and encouragement of the duo, the EFCC has in the last two years retrieved more than N738 billion that were illegally acquired by corrupt individuals using either their positions in government or access to those in government.
“Money has been found stashed in all manner of places by corrupt people. Hiding places have gone beyond the familiar ceilings and safes that we all know of, to include overhead water tanks, septic tanks, refrigerators and deep freezers.
“Those that could not transfer their loot to shores outside the country kept coming up with bizarre ways of ensuring that their loot was safe. Efforts were made by looters to launder what monies they have by buying landed property, jewellery and shares to conceal the odious origin of what they have stolen.
“One need not be told that N738 billion is no small change. To appreciate what it could have done for the nation if it had been properly invested and spent as it should, we should know that this amount is way greater than the combined allocation to the health sector in 2015 and 2016 budgets which added up to N562 billion.
“In the 2018 budget estimates placed before the National Assembly, the president proposes to spend N605.8 billion on education. In other words, what was corruptly stolen and now recovered by my commission, the EFCC, is more than what was budgeted for all the Universities, Polytechnics, Colleges of Education and the Universal Basic Education being funded by the federal government in 2018.
“This was why I said we owe it to ourselves, it is a jihad for all of us to help wage the war against corruption. It is unpatriotic and a shirking of our responsibilities as citizens to fold our arms and leave the fight against corruption to President Muhammadu Buhari, Vice President Yemi Osinbajo, the EFCC and a handful of others. We are all stakeholders in the fight against economic and financial crimes; together we can defeat this evil.
“I do not doubt the possibility and capacity of a few committed and determined men and women to stop corruption in Nigeria. Every day I get encouraged by the show of support and words of encouragement we get from people spanning a broad spectrum of the Nigerian demographics.
“These people call on the phone, some write letters, others physically visit our office, not to talk of those that engage us in one-on-one talks at public functions. We have even learnt of special prayers organised by churches and mosques asking for divine protection and success for us and the work that we do.”
While observing that the coming into being of the EFCC, at the time it did, was most germane, the anti-graft agency boss said “at a point in the history of this country it was getting difficult, if not impossible, to do honest and legitimate business within the country and with others from outside the country,” adding that co
Hoodlums Set APC Campaign Vehicle Ablaze In Ondo
Some hoodlums suspected to be political thugs have set ablaze a campaign vehicle belonging to Olatayo Aribo, an aspirant contesting the House of Representatives seat on the platform of the All Progressives Congress (APC) for Owo/Ose Federal Constituency of Ondo State in the 2019 elections.
The hoodlums also attacked two occupants of the vehicle, identified as Lanre Kako and Tope, who were on their way home after stopping over to buy ‘suya’ in Owo area of Ondo State.
The attack occurred around the post office area of Owo, with passers-by left scampering for safety.
Sources told journalists in Akure that the hoodlums shot at the campaign vehicle after the occupants escaped from the scene of the incident.
“The two men were driving one campaign vehicle and they stopped to buy ‘suya’ around the post office at Owo, but some guys came and shot at the vehicle. They had to run away but their attackers set the vehicle on fire,” one of the sources said.
“Those around put out the fire but these boys reinforced and came back to set the vehicle on fire again.”
Addressing journalists on the incident, Aribo said the case had been reported to Police in Owo for further investigation, adding that he did not suspect anyone and that he was ready to write a petition to the State Police Commissioner.
“We reported the incident to the Police and they were also invited to witness the burning of the bus. It is now left for them to investigate and take action, but for now we do not suspect anybody,” he said.
16 miners kidnapped in Kaduna
The Kaduna state police command on Wednesday announced the kidnap of 16 miners in Bogoma village of Birnin Gwari local government area of the state.
Yakubu Sabo, the command public relations officer, disclosed this to NAN in Kaduna.
Sabo said the 16 miners were abducted on Tuesday night when the truck they were travelling in was intercepted by armed bandits shortly after they left their mining site on their way home.
“The bandits kidnapped one Isa Tanimu and 15 others all of the same village,” Sabo said.
He added that a team of the police anti-kidnapping unit are currently combing the area to rescue the miners and arrest the kidnappers.
He disclosed that information available indicated that a link had been established with the abductors and “the Police iare making discreet efforts to track them down.”
Sabo described the incident as quite unfortunate, but assured that the command was doing its best to rescue the victims and apprehend the perpetrators.
“We appeal to the general public to assist the police with useful information towards ensuring that the criminals are brought to book,” the command spokesman said.
Mum gives 8-month-old step-daughter poison to drink
In Niger State, a 20-year-old housewife, Zulac Kabiru has been arrested for giving her 8-month-old step-daughter poison » to drink.
She reportedly fed the deceased with a substance locally known as ‘Ota Piapia’ . The incident which occurred on Sunday, September 9, 2018, occurred following a disagreement with the mother of the deceased.
ALSO READ: 3 family members including pregnant wife, die after eating poisoned dinner »
Kabiru Labbo , the father of the child reportedly notified the police concerning the tragic event. This prompted her arrest according to Punch News.
“I warned my husband against marrying another wife, but he didn’t listen. The second wife was in the habit of insulting and assaulting me at all times and one day I decided to poison her eight-month-old daughter to increase her sorrow; so that she will learn how to respect her superiors in the family.
“Before my husband married her, I kicked against the move. We have been living in peace but when she came, she divided the family. My husband gave her more attention and since then our family has been in shambles,” Zulac Kabiru is quoted by Punch.
Kabiru who acknowledged that her actions was wicked also claims she was pushed by the devil.
The police hopes to arraign her in court as soon as investigations have been completed.