Annette Gyen, a witness, has told a federal high court in Jos how Sarah Ochekpe, former minister of water resources, and two others allegedly withdrew N450 million cash a new generation bank.
Ochekpe, who was minister under ex-President Goodluck Jonathan, and the co-accused are being tried by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) for allegedly collecting N450 million from Diezani Alison-Madueke, former petroleum minister, in 2015.
The two other accused are Raymond Dabo, former Plateau PDP chairman, and Leo Jatau, coordinator of the president Goodluck Johnathan campaign in the state.
The EFCC is alleging that the trio collected N450 million cash from one Annette Olije-Gyen, operation manager of the bank, which exceeded the amount authorised by law.
The anti-graft agency said the offence contravened sections 18 (a)(d), 1 (a), 16(1)(d), and was punishable under section 16 (2) of money laundering (prohibition) Act 2012, (as amended).
At the court sitting on Monday, Gyen told the court that Martins Ezuogbe, who was the then group divisional head of operations directed the bank cashiers to disburse the money to the trio.
“On March 26, 2015, we obediently called the trio, who came to our office and were given the money,” she said
“After confirming the money, we gave them our bullion van with which they conveyed it.”
She said on January 8, 2017, the bank received a letter from EFCC asking for details of the transaction, and “on January 11, we responded to that request.”
The request of Ahmed Munchaka, the prosecutor, that the two letters be tendered as evidence was rejected by the defence lawyers.
Gyang Zi and S.O. Oyewale, the defence counsels, argued that the letters should not be admitted because they were not original copies.
“The bank should have produced original copies of the letters; the court cannot work with photocopies because they might have been tampered with. We can only accept original copies,” they said.
After listening to the parties, Musa Kurya, the presiding judge, adjourned the case till May 17 and May 18 for ruling on admission of the letters, and continuation of hearing.
Bike man loses his private part after dropping passenger
In Lagos, a bike man has held down a passenger who reportedly made his private part disappear » after touching him with a magical ring.
This was captured in a video fast circulating online media. The incident occurred on Tuesday, September 18, 2018, in Omole Phase 2, Ikeja according to an IG post.
The victim » places a firm grip on the waist of a man believed to be passenger. He seemed determined not to let him go.
A motorist who witnessed the development was heard in the clip asking questions about how his manhood came to be missing.
Boko Haram hits another military base in Borno
Soldiers and members of the Boko Haram sect are currently engaged in a gun battle at a military location in Damasak, Borno state.
The insurgents reportedly launched an attack on a military base in the area around 5pm on Wednesday.
A military source said the insurgents stormed the town with anti-air craft guns, bombs and other weapons.
Texas Chukwu, army spokesman, has confirmed the attack, saying soldiers are on top of the situation.
The incident comes less than a week after Boko Haram fighters struck at a military location in Gudumbali, Guzamala local government area.
Some witnesses said soldiers were killed in the attack but the army denied losing anyone.
In its renewed campaign of violence, the insurgents have been carrying out attacks on military locations in the north-east.
Commenting on this Ahmad Salkida, a journalist known to have access to the leadership of the sect, said Boko Haram had been overrunning military formations and piling up arms for something “big”.
“The insurgents are busy piling up arms, by overrunning one military base, after another, for something “big” and what could that be?” he had tweeted last week.
Salkida added that in the history of insurgency in Nigeria, no year has been as bad as 2018 in terms of the killing of military personnel by Boko Haram fighters.
Catholic priest shot dead in Imo
Jude Egbuom, a Catholic priest, has been murdered in Nkwerre local government area of Imo state.
According to PUNCH, Egbuom, who was the presiding priest of St. Patrick’s Catholic Parish in Amucha, Njaba LGA, was attackedat a barber’s shop where he had gone to have a hair cut around 8pm on Monday.
The armed attackers reportedly demanded his car keys and when he resisted, he was shot alongside an unidentified young man who was with him.
“The circumstances surrounding the killing of the priest indicated that it was a case of armed robbery,” a native of the community was quoted to have said.
“It could not have been a case of assassination, who did the gentle priest offend? He was from our community, Nkwerre and was doing his missionary work at Njaba, a nearby LGA. ”
Confirming the attack, Andrew Enwerem, police spokesman in the state, said Dasuki Galadanchi, commissioner of police, has deployed the tactical unit of the command to investigate the killings.
“The incident is confirmed. Rev Fr.Jude Egbuom of St Patrick’s Catholic parish Amucha was murdered last night,” he said.
“Another person whose identity had yet to be known was also killed by the hoodlums. The priest was in his priestly regalia when they shot him dead.”
- Entertainment23 hours ago
Peter Okoye beats Davido to win first award since Psquare disbanded
- EDUCATION23 hours ago
FG releases N42bn to universities, retirees of Nigeria Airways
- Politics11 hours ago
APC postpones presidential primary twice within 24 hours
- ECONOMY11 hours ago
FG to sell 10 state-owned coys to fund 2018 budget
- Politics23 hours ago
APC expels deputy chief whip of house of reps
- ECONOMY23 hours ago
Oil hits four-year high as OPEC, allies maintain supply cut
- Politics5 hours ago
I’ll fire every general in the Army if elected President – Sowore
- EDUCATION11 hours ago
Police describe Nigerian University as a “den of cultists”